Like many people my age I love Pinterest. Not only as a helper to plan my wedding (earlier this year), inspirations for home decor, ideas for travel plans, but also for tasty meals!
I found this recipe because I wanted to use my Lodge Dutch Oven which was gifted to use for our wedding. It is a beautiful blue color and so easy to clean, it just makes me happy!
This is a Cajun flavor explosion! This recipe was found via Pinterest and created by The Chunky Chef. It is very easy to follow and customize to your liking.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried minced onion
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Juice of a small-medium lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil (enough to make paste)
Rest of dish
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 links andouille sausage cut into 1/4” slices
- 2 chicken breasts (or 4 bone-in skin on chicken thighs)
- 1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and cut into chucks (or diced)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup dry long grain rice
- 2 1/4 cups chicken stock
- Combine marinade ingredients in medium bowl. Toss in chicken, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Drizzle olive oil in Dutch oven, heat over Med-High heat. Brown andouille sausage, transfer to plate.
- Add chicken, seat 2-3 minutes on each side. Transfer to plate with sausage.
- Lower heat to Med-Low. Sauté onion and jalapeño 2-3 minutes until softened. I left my jalapeño in larger chunks to make it easier to remove later. This is one way to control heat.
- Add cayenne, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add rice and chicken stock. Stir and let simmer for one minute.
- Nestle chicken and sausage on top of rice. Pour in juices from plate. Return to simmer and cover.
- Bake covered at 350 F for 35 minutes
- Sauté shrimp (I used olive oil, minced garlic, paprika).
I love this pan! (Here is a similar one)
- After 35 minutes remove lid and add shrimp. Return to oven uncovered for 10 minutes.
Once you remove from oven you can garnish with green onions or parsley. My husband isn’t a huge fan of this so I opt out. If you use chicken breasts you can remove and cut into bite size pieces then stir in rice to mix. This is great as a leftover too!